Sunday, June 1, 2008

Lame Tooth Fairy and another funny

Does anyone else have a lame tooth fairy? Ours keeps forgetting to come! Last night Kambrie lost a tooth and sure thing, this morning the tooth was still there. I try and explain why she didn't make it, like last night there was a big storm. But I'm finding it hard to come up with good excuses for this behavior. It's a good thing my kids are very forgiving. . . she must be getting older and can't remember or something.
Then to add yet another funny story to the many others in our life: Last night we drove out of town to a graduation open house. On the way there I mentioned to Phil that we should put gas in the car when we got home. For some reason neither Phil or I realized how far we would be driving on a quarter tank of gas. When we arrived at the open house we thought it would be a good idea to find out where the nearest gas station was before we left. We were told there was a gas station at the next town, just a few miles from where we were. No problem getting there. So we pull off the exit to turn into the gas station and realize that it is closed. Not closed for the night, but the tanks were all roped off, the last gas price was 3.76 (that was at least a few weeks ago). We then hop back on the freeway hoping to make it to the next gas station. We see a sign that says next gas station 15 miles. That doesn't seem like too far. . . so we continue driving. When we got to that exit we realize it is the one we take to come home anyway so we have made it. So we continue on our merry way thinking that all is well. . . then Phil says "oh, we just ran out of gas." Great, we still seem to be pretty far out of town and our car has died. I know there is a gas station just up the road, but can't see it from where we are. Phil puts the car in neutral and we continue to coast into town. It's amazing how far you can coast when the hills are in your favor. As we are coasting along at about 50 mph we see Kwik Trip of to the left. We realize that we are going to have to take the next exit, which is up hill. We take in and continue to go and see another gas station off to our right, which is DOWN HILL! Yea, so we really don't stop at the stop sign or red light as we make two right turns to get to the gas station. Thankfully we didn't really need to. We just about make it and we run out of momentum. I'm talking yards away from the tanks. So the kids and I jump out and start pushing before the car comes to a complete stop. I'm sure it looked very strange, but we were all laughing as we pushed our car (van) next to the gas pump! Yup we are all a little strange in this family. But are more than willing to laugh at ourselves.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Brad and I got "caught" buying gas on a Sunday by a member of the Stake Presidency (long story). I have never run out of gas since then. I'm glad you made it to a station (with gas(.

Jen said...

I'm glad you had a "chevy Chase" type ride home. At least your weren't in some foreign place in the middle of nowhere in a thunderstorm.

I think it's darling that Phil danced with Kambree and how great that Becca sang. What a little brave one.

That darn tooth fairy. I need to have a talk with her. She goofs up at our house too!

Lydia said...

Wow, that's quite the adventure. I love how you guys were laughing about it instead of complaining and crying. That's great.

Oh, and on the tooth fairy thing. I already know our fairy will get stuck in many bad imaginary storms.

Teresa said...

Boy, you had a lot of updating to do....why do you put these things off? ha ha

Yes, I can relate with the tooth fairy also. Which brings me to the question, when do you stop the tooth fairy? My 12 year old is still loosing teeth and expects the tooth fairy to visit -- I usually just hand him a couple of bucks and tell him to throw the tooth in the garbage. I actually think that when you find out the tooth fairy isn't real, money stops. My older kids are fighting me on that one. I know, bad mom.