This last week I have learned to be grateful for good health. I had a battle with a nasty kidney infection and I seriously haven't ever felt that sick in my life. I'm the kind of person that doesn't surrender to being sick very easily. So I kept telling myself that I was getting better and that I would be fine. This mind over matter talk had been going on for several days. . . then Sunday morning I decided that something was really wrong and that I should be seen. Although again I downplayed how I felt and decided that I could go to Mayo Express care and not have to wait FOREVER at the ER (which I felt was overly dramatic for my symptoms. . . it wasn't life or death!) Thankfully the Dr. at express care looked at my paperwork and saw me right away. She pretty much told me to go right to the ER and she would call and tell them I was coming. They couldn't treat me for something I had already taken antibiotics for (I had a UTI earlier and was on antibiotics for that, tests later show the bacteria I had was resistant to that ONE antibiotic)
At the ER we proceeded to wait for a while. I was MISERABLE. I had the chills and just wanted to curl up and sleep. Finally they put my in a room and began to solve the mystery behind my illness. While I was laying there WAITING, I started feeling super hot. I called the nurse in and she checked my temperature and it was a mere 102.7. Apparently this causes a lot of alarm. Next thing I knew I was being told they would keep me overnight and they immediately started pumping fluid and antibiotics through my veins. This was not what I had expected. . . but at that point I just wanted to feel better so I was glad they were finally doing something for me.
I sent Phil home at this point to be with the kids and get them taken care of for the day. His brother was also in town. . . and I was just laying there feeling yucky. . . no need for him to be there. They put me on a floor that usually just has patients with either strokes or brain bleeds, so to have a patient that was coherent was very exciting for the nurses. And. . . it was a very nice room, for a hospital. Flat screen t.v., own refrigerator, temperature control from my bed. It was nice. If you have to be in the hospital, this was the place to be.
Thankfully, my hospital stay was very short and I was home by about 1:30 p.m. on Monday. I went straight to bed and didn't emerge for a long time. Slowly this week I have started to feel a lot better. I have slept more than I ever have and pretty much haven't ventured out of the house. Thankfully friends brought in some dinners and Phil's schedule was such that he could do a lot of the after school running around for me. He would get the kids off to school, then I would sleep the rest of the morning, so unlike me. I'm so glad that I am getting better and this wasn't anything too serious and the antibiotics are working. I always take for granted that I'm normally a very healthy person. . . and I am very thankful for that. I can't wait to get back to my normal routine and do things. I've been sitting/laying around LONG enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Glad you're now finally feeling better! That's just too long to be sick--
Yikes! I am glad you are feeling better. Wish I was there to help you out! :-)
Glad you're on the mend!
Again, glad you are feeling better! How miserable that must have been for you, so sorry Ann!
Ann, so happy you are recovering/ed so quickly. Modern medicine is a miracle. Health is one of those blessings that is easy to take for granted. I'm so happy you are doing better.
That is the pits! I'm glad you were able to rest and get better.
I am so glad you are feeling better, but you are in trouble because I could've helped. I am sorry you had to go through all of that.
Post a Comment