Thursday, August 14, 2008

Too much fun. . .

Yesterday was the long anticipated trip to Valleyfair with my girls (the girls I work with at church). I was all for a day of fun, fun rides, fun food, fun company. . . sounded like a blast. However, today I'm barely functioning. I did have a great time and always enjoy the time that I spend with them. I'm just realizing that I am a lot older than they are and I can't always keep up with them. I always say that working with the YW makes me feel young or old, depending on the activity. . . today I'm feeling old.



The following are two of the scariest/fun rides in the park, in my opinion. I pulled these pictures and facts off the valleyfair website.





Power Tower Fact Sheet
Location:
The ominous tower soars high above all other attractions at Valleyfair, on the island in the center of the Park formerly occupied by Tot Town.
Opening:
May 2000
Design:
Three-connected 250-foot-tall white steel towers with a pyramidal top featuring the Valleyfair logo.
Color Scheme:
White with blue, red and yellow accents.
Builder:
S&S Power, Inc., Logan, Utah.
Speed:
Rides reach speeds exceeding 50 mph in 3 seconds
Velocity:
50 mph
Seconds of Weightlessness:
More than three
Height Requirement:
52"
Vehicle Design:
Riders are secured by over-the-shoulder restraints and seat belts in modular, outward-facing open-air seats that leaves their legs dangling freely in the air.
Believe It or Not:
Taller by 75 feet than Valleyfair's number-one rated ride -- Wild Thing. Only FAA height regulations from Flying Cloud Airport prevented Power Tower from being even taller




On the Power Tower I learned that I can scream MUCH louder than I previously thought. My throat still hurts today!

Steel Venom Facts and Figures
Physical Dimensions:
Height of track: 185 feet
Length of drop: 175 feet
Track length: 2,600 feet
Angle of track: 90 degrees
Angle of twist: 360 degrees
Top speed: 68 mph
Design:


Model: Single twist impulse coaster
Structure: U-shaped steel tubular track
Features: 360-degree vertical twist Linear induction motor (LIM)
Color scheme: Periwinkle columns, bright yellow track
Speed & Capacity:
Speed:
First launch (forward) - approximately 55 mph
Second launch (backward) - approximately 55 mph
Third launch (forward) - approximately 68 mph
Fourth launch (backward) - approximately 68 mph
Fifth launch (forward) - approximately 62 mph


This was the last ride that my poor stomach could handle. And it was terrifying! Who thinks of these things. . . 68 mph, holy cow. And when you are going backwards to the top of one tower on the last swing, you just hang there for a few seconds before you drop back toward the ground. Wow. . . I'm still feeling the effects today. And getting home at approximately 1 a.m. didn't help!

4 comments:

Teresa said...

Wow, looks like fun! I love thrill rides - my tummy, however, can't handle them like I used to - guess that means I'm getting old too. Bummer. Can't wait to see you next month!

Lydia said...

Those pics are great! Definitely looks like a lot of fun. Hey, I subbed your girls' primary class today. They're cuties!

Jen said...

What a great activity Ann. I bet they all loved that. I love that place. The Venom is my favorite ride there and the green rollercoaster. SO so fun. Mike's parents took us there when they came to visit.

However, my head spins a bit now. When I was younger it was much less nauseating!

Jenni said...

I love amusement parks but poor Brad get sick, sick, sick. Lagoon has a similar ride as the Power Tower. I LOVE IT!!!