Friday, August 8, 2008

Summer '06 - Destination #1

Our first trip in the summer of 06 was to Chicago. Phil was attending the NBTA conference again, and after all the fun we had in San Diego, we couldn't resist going again. Phil's parents came out to watch the kids while we were gone.

Since Chicago is only 6 ours away, we drove, and since it was just Phil and I we took our time and made some stops on the way. . . mainly at the outlets to shop. It's nice to have a husband that like to shop too!

The first night we were there was the kick-off event for the conference and it was being held the the The Field Museum which was featuring the King Tut Exhibit. I have always been fascinated with Egyptian history and couldn't wait to see the exhibit. We only had about an hour and a half to make it through, and that was rushing it, in my opinion. It was truly amazing! I could have spent much more time there. We spent a lot of time reading the displays and enjoying the rarities of the collection. I was in awe of the workmanship on many of the pieces given the time period. This was definitely a highlight of the trip for me.

The next day while Phil was having fun at the conference, I managed to make my way downtown and shop and wonder around for most of the day. Downtown Chicago is fun, so it wasn't that hard to entertain myself.

That night we were invited to two events! The first was a catered dinner by Rick Bayless. We weren't sure how we were going to get there, but when we went outside of the hotel, there was a Limo waiting to take guests to this event. Having never been in one before it was fun to have the opportunity and I had to laugh when people would point at the limo wondering who was in there. Little did they know it wasn't anyone famous at all! The dinner was amazing and we met Rick and got his recipe book, which I love! It was fun to hear that this year one his restaurants in Chicago was voted the best restaurant in the U.S.

We scooted out of there a little early for the next event of the evening which Phil and I were very excited about as well. . . a STYX concert in the House of Blues!!!! We both grew up on STYX, but were wondering if they would still be good after this many years. And let me tell you, we weren't disappointed at all!!! They were great! We were center stage and one person back and it was an awesome concert! I thought I knew all their songs, well I do, but not word for word like Phil! I still keep learning things about him.



Another night we were invited to dinner at a very nice restaurant in Chicago. . . one we wouldn't normally go to ourselves. Very good food and we met some fun people. This picture was taken that night at another event, a casino night or something. I really didn't take many pictures during the trip. I had a great time going to The Art Institute of Chicago downtown and wondering through it for most of the day. You could spend days in there. I really loved the weapons display, especially the suits of armor worn by knights. I'm pretty much fascinated with that time period as well.




The kids were having fun at home with the Grandparents. They had taken them several fun places, but most of the time just played with them at home. There weren't any major disasters while we were gone just a few minor ones. Like a storm that produced thunder so loud our car alarm kept going off and they didn't know who to turn it off and Kyson pulling a 5 lb weight down on his head. He still has a scar from that.

After we got home from Chicago and rested up for a few days, we all were off to destination #2.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Brad and I tried to get to Chicago before we moved but it just never happened. Someday!

Lydia said...

Styx! That's awesome. Jeff and I need to do something like that.

P.S. One of these days you'll need to teach me how to fish. I showed Jeff your fish last night after he talked to you at the church. Very impressive.