
For many years, since our kids have been around I've tried to contain or control my dislike for spiders. I didn't want to freak the kids out by me freaking out whenever I ran across one of these cute little guys. Well, today ended that charade for GOOD! Let me preface this by reminding everyone that our basement is currently unfinished. So today like most other days I made a trip to the basement to return an item or pick one up. Today I had my arms full, trying to minimize the times I would have to run up and down the stairs. I had a big bag of bedding in one hand and several glass jars in the other. I reached the bottom of the stairs and really couldn't hang onto the bag anymore, so I just sat it down right by the bottom of the stairs and turned to walk the other way to put the jars away. It was at the precise moment that my brain registered that there was something horrifying sitting on the luggage RIGHT by where I had just placed the bag. My first thought was "why is there a taranchula in my house" The next thought was get up the stairs as fast as my legs would carry me. Thankfully my brain registered to keep a hold the the glass jars at the same time. As I ran into the kitchen I placed the jars nicely on the counter, Kyson and Becca look at me with wide eyes as I'm doing this crazy type dance through the kitchen chanting "huge spider downstairs! huge spider downstairs!" They wanted to run down there but I told them not to, I didn't want them to scare it so it would run away. The only way I would sleep here tonight is if I knew it was dead. I head to the door hoping Phil is close. . . as I open the door and see him standing right there, I can't hold the scream in anymore. I tell him to come quick. . . he is thinking something major is wrong. . . with one of the kids, not me being freaked out by a spider. . . because it's been a while since I've freaked out over a spider. BUT I really don't think I have seen one this big in any of my houses EVER! I take him downstairs to show him and he calmly walks to the other end of the basement, I didn't know what he was going to do and I didn't want to stick around any longer than I had to, so I ran back upstairs. Soon Phil, the hero, comes up with the culprit stuck on one of those sticky mouse traps, that made it look even BIGGER, but at least it couldn't move. The kids all crowd around thinking it was SO COOL as I cringe away from the thing. Kaden briefly put his life at risk when he took the trap and was going to come after me with it. I really don't think he has ever heard me threaten his life like that before. Wisely, he stopped immediately!
So I've pretty much been creeped out all day! Haven't made another trip to the basement. It might be a while! The above picture pretty much looks like the darn thing, just picture it's body being about the size of my thumb! YUCK, YUCK, YUCK!

8 comments:
I am so freaked out by spiders! That was a horrifying blog entry. I'm impressed that you actually held onto all the glass jars, but of course that may have been a bigger problem to deal with afterwords. Good thing Phil got it right away. Creepy.
Oh my gosh, Ann! I can totally picture this. I'm just amazed that a glass jar didn't get thrown at any point and that it took so long for a scream to leave your throat!! I totally have the shivers now - that's one HUGE spider! Yikes!
If it's any consolation ,I DON'T LIKE SPIDERS, either. They really freak me out and Grant is the one to take care of it. I get the heck out of Dodge when spiders are concerned, especially HUGE ones. Glad you waited to stifle your scream until you were in the near vicinity of Phil.
Switch spider for cockroach and you get a story about me instead! We saw another one around bedtime sometime last week. Ryan went after it and then told me it got away. And ran towards our room. I made him carry me to the bed that night, I slept with shoes by my bed, and didn't get out of that bed once until morning. I am such a wimp. But a wimp now armed with a can of Raid. I can't wait to get into our bug-free house!
Yuck! yuck! yuck! I now have the heeby jeebies!
The whole state of Minnesota would have heard my scream if I had seen that thing. I was freaked out just looking at the picture on my blog!
Oh Ann, now I have tingles all over my body! I hate spiders more than you know, hate them, hate them, hate them!! I would have reacted the same way you did, but I would have dropped the glass jars.
I had a huge one in my bathroom in KY and it took my sister-in-law and me over an hour to get the courage to crush it. I just got the shakes writing that right now, yucky! It was one of those brown wolf spiders that looks like a brown recluse but it was a big daddy of one. Once we killed it I had to go throw it out in the field. I can't flush anything down the toilet because then I feel like it will come back to life somehow and bite my bottom while using the pot.
Anyhow, I'm glad you weren't eaten alive by that monster of a spider. Just watch out for the one under your pillow tonight! he-he-he
Has that thing been hiding out in that house for 30 years just waiting for YOU to move in?
Post a Comment