Thursday, March 27, 2008

Cow Eyes

A few weeks ago a paper from the girls teachers came home informing us that they would be doing cow eye dissections on March 21st. Well, I just thought "gross" and decided that other parents could go volunteer. Well, due to a "snow day" on Fri. they changed the date to today. Again, I thought, "let someone else do that." But this morning Kambrie tried the whole faking sick routine, which made me wonder why she didn't want to go to school. Then I remember the cow eye thing, and sure enough, that is why she didn't want to go. Well, I decided to be the supportive parent and told her I would go and help if that would help her feel better about it, and of course she agreed.
So I'm thinking this entire time, no big deal, I can help these kids. Silly me was thinking THEY would be the ones doing the dissecting. I was still doing the mind over matter talk to myself as I entered the school for "training" on what we should do. It only took a few seconds to realize that WE would be doing the dissecting, at which point I thought "has any parent ever thrown up doing this, or passed out. . . how embarrassing THAT would be. . . .hopefully I won't do that." Have you ever seen a cow eye? They aren't pretty. So we learned exactly what we should do, which was good, I actually got myself talked into doing it. Then. . . when we found the group of kids we would be working with there was another mom that was more than willing to do the cutting, which was FINE with me! So in helping in both Kambrie and Becca's class I was able get out of actually dissecting both times. YEA! Now, I would have done it if I would have had too, but I didn't mind letting someone else have that experience.
Overall it was pretty interesting and not as "gross" as I thought it would be. The kids were really into it and it was fun to see their excitement.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

You are braver than I am! I think I would have been the one faking sick. :-)

Kristi said...

Icky! Icky! BTW, how did you do this cool backdrop on your blog? Do you have connections?

Isaak said...

the thought makes me nautis. hooray for weak stomachs!!!